Lauki ka raita is a wonderful, nutritious and refreshing side dish. Lauki is known by various names in India, like Doodhi, Ghia and Bottle gourd. Lauki has a blend taste and some people especially children do not like to eat it as a vegetable but I am sure they will definitely like this raita. Enjoy this summer with variety of refreshing and cooling raita.
Lauki is mild and neutral in taste. When combined with yoghurt it makes a delicious side dish for spicy main course dishes served as part of traditional meal. Lauki ka raita is prepared by combining boiled grated lauki with yogurt and flavored with cumin seeds, mustard seed and asafetida (Hing) Tadka.
Ingredients to make Lauki ka Raita
1 Cup grated lauki (bottle gourd)
2 Cups of plain yoghurt/ curd
½ Tsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
½ Tsp mustard seeds (Rai)
½ Tsp red chili powder (Degi Mirch)
¼ Tsp roasted cumin seed powder
1 Tsp vegetable oil
1 Tsp salt or to your taste
1 Pinch of asafetida (Hing) or as per taste
1 Pinch of chaat masala or as per taste
How To Make Lauki ka Raita
1. In a sauce pan add grated lauki and half cup of water mix and cover the pan and cook for 8 to 10 minute on low heat, or till lauki become tender.
2. Allow lauki to cool. If there is lot of water left in lauki then squeeze the water out.
3. Place the yogurt in a bowl and whisk. Add boiled lauki in the yogurt and mix.
4. To prepare the tadka, heat a small pan or a serving spoon, add oil, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and asafetida and fry them for 2 to 3 minutes or until mustard seeds start splattering and cumin seeds become dark, turn the stove off.
5. Add cumin seeds tadka and salt in yoghurt with lauki and mix.
6. Sprinkle chat masala, red chili powder and roasted cumin powder.
7. Keep raita in the refrigerator and serve it chill.
Add on to the taste by adding one pinch of Rock salt.
Adjust the consistency with remaining lauki water as per requirement.
Serve this Lauki ka Raita with Khichdi, Pulao, Biryani and other main course meal.
Finely chopped green chillies and coriander leaves also adds on to the flavour and nutrition of lauki ka raita.