In our country India, tea or “chai” is not just a cup of tea to start the day… it denotes deep cultural roots with Indian economic significance. Today is international tea day.
When is International Tea Day ?
Although many tea producing countries use to celebrate on 15 December since 2005. But In 2015, the Indian Government proposed the observance of tea day through the United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization.
United Nations accepted the proposal declared 21st May of every year as International Tea Day.
Theme of International Tea Day 2021?
21st may 2021 is the second International Tea Day with the theme of “Tea and Fair Trade”
Why International Tea Day?
Tea is an inseparable part of our daily routine in most of the Asian households. The basic purpose of this Day is to spread awareness among the people about the financial outcomes of tea in the poor areas of the world which are the major producer of this crop.
Tea is the second mostly used drink in the world after water.
World Tea Day not only marks the importance of fair and transparent deals of this trade with workers involved in its production but also suggests the health benefits of tea especially to control weight, nausea, slow metabolism, stress reliever and immunity booster.
Interesting Facts about Tea
- Tea is the second mostly used drink in the world after water. But workers involved in its production are still suffering poverty.
- It is believed that tea was discovered by the Chinese emperor Shen Nung in 2737BC, when leaves from a wild tree fell into his bowl of boiling water and, he drank it.
- There are around 3,000 different types of tea.
- This Indian daily drink is loaded with lots of health benefits including immunity booster drink.
- All varieties of tea like black tea, white tea, green tea, oolong tea come from the same plant that is Camellia Sinensis. They taste, look and smell different only because of the difference in the method of processing.
- Green tea leaves are a natural way of keeping mosquitoes at bay.
- Before tea became daily drink, it was used as a medicine for centuries.