What is Covid-19?
COVID-19 is a disease caused by a new strain of coronavirus. ‘CO’ stands for corona, ‘VI’ for virus, and ‘D’ for disease. Formerly, this disease was referred to as ‘2019 novel coronavirus’ or ‘2019-nCoV.’
COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.
Corona virus (COV) belongs to a family of viruses that cause problems ranging from a cold to breathlessness. This virus has never been seen before. The virus infection started in December in Wuhan, China. According to WHO, fever, cough, shortness of breath are its symptoms. So far, no vaccine has been made to stop the virus from spreading.
Most common symptoms:
- Dry cough
- Less common symptoms:
- Aches and pains
- Sore throat
- Loss of taste or smell
- A rash on skin, or discoloration of fingers or toes
Spread and Transmission of Corona
This virus spreads from one person to another. Therefore, great care is being taken about this.
Viruses that resemble corona also spread through droplets falling from coughs and sneezes.
In severe cases of corona virus, pneumonia, excessive breathing difficulties, kidney failure and even death can occur. The risk may be severe in the case of the elderly or people who already have asthma, diabetes or heart disease.
Why Extra Precaution for COVID- 19 in Winters
Now, if we talk about respiratory viruses, it might be possible that the corona virus infection might rise in winters. Viruses tend to live longer in a cold climate. Illness like, SARS, influenza shows a seasonal variation with increasing cases in winters.
Also, low humidity provides evaporation of viral particles, which can increase the airborne spread of disease.
Lack of sunshine in winters also promotes deficiency of Vitamin D, which can decrease immunity and can make us more susceptible to infections or diseases.
What to do if the corona virus infection occurs:
1. Currently, there is no cure for corona virus but medicines can be given to reduce symptoms of the disease.
2. Stay separate from others until you recover. Work is underway to develop a vaccine to treat the corona virus.
3. Some hospitals are also testing antiviral medication.
Safety measures to be taken to stay safe from Covid-19 in winters:
- According to these, hands should be washed with soap.
- Alcohol-based hand rub can also be used.
- Keep the nose and mouth covered with handkerchiefs or tissue paper while coughing and sneezing.
- Stay away from people who have cold and flu symptoms.
- Avoid exposure to wild animals.
- Try to avoid travelling in public transport such as, buses, taxis, trains and autos.
- Avoid going to public places and try staying safe at home only.
- If you are living with more people, be more cautious.
- Stay in separate rooms and clean the shared kitchen and bathroom on regular basis.
- If you have come from an infected area or have been in contact with an infected person, then you may be advised to stay alone. So stay home.
- The masks you are wearing should not be touched front-handed.
- Masks should be worn in such a way that your nose, mouth and part of the beard are covered.
- Always drink warm water.
- Increase intake of healthy food, fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Increase intake of dry fruits.
- Drinking Kadha in this season is one of the most beneficial thing.
- In winters people are more likely to catch cold and cough, so to avoid such diseases, warm clothes protection should be taken.
- Due to snowfall and landslides in winter, roads might get blocked. In such a situation one should store enough things which are their basic needs.
- In heavy snowfall, electric poles and wires are either bent or broken by the weight of ice. So carry enough extra battery and power bank with you. ATMs also do not work, so keep sufficient amount of cash with you.
- Check your temperature and respiratory symptoms regularly.
- Take turmeric milk at least 1 time a day. Take care not to over do immunity boosters.
- Strengthen your immune system for which you include nutritious things in your diet.
- Clean the mobile and laptop also from time to time.
- Do not touch hands with face and eyes. If you have a habit of repeatedly touching your face, change it immediately.
- Make a habit of saying hello instead of shaking hands.
- Sanitize anything brought home, then use it
Constant efforts are being made to avoid coronavirus. Researchers are busy making medicines to get rid of this virus. The government is constantly taking drastic steps to avoid this dangerous disease so that it can get rid of this epidemic. Therefore, it becomes the responsibility of all of us to strictly follow the rules so that we can make the country disease free.